Legal Assistance and Juvenile Justice
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
- If you are not living with your brothers and sisters, you have the right to see them at least twice a month with some limited exceptions.
- You have the right to be at every juvenile court date.
- You have the right to a free public education that fits your needs. If you need support, you are entitled to special education services.
- You cannot be deprived of planned visits to see or speak to your family as punishment.
- You have the right to information and services including birth control or to make decisions about your pregnancy.
DCFS Youth Hotline
Did you know that DCFS has a youth hotline available to older youth? The purpose of the hotline is to handle complaints, concerns, inquiries and suggestions made by DCFS' teen clients. The hotline can be contacted when a youth is having trouble with his/her assigned agency. According to DCFS, the advocates working the hotline can help transfer a case from one agency to another, if doing so is in the client's best interest, and assist in obtaining services from the current agency. The phone number is 1-800-232-3798. The hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Placement of Youth Age 18 and over with Unrelated, Unlicensed Caregivers
Children over the age of 18 may be placed with unrelated, unlicensed caregivers, if the caregiver passes a safety check conducted by the child's caseworker. If the placement is approved after the safety check, the caregiver shall receive a monthly payment equal to what an unlicensed relative caregiver would receive. You may also be able to arrange with your caseworker a Placement Alternative Contract. Contact your caseworker or attorney/GAL if you have questions.
Success stories regarding our juvenile clients Read more
Success stories regarding our disabled adults Read more
What's New Read more
|Voices Identifies Lack of State Budget Is Dismantling Critical Services for Children Read more|
|Cook County Public Guardian Testifies Before Joint Illinois Senate and House Subject Matter Hearing on Documented Abuse at DCFS Residential Treatment Facilities Read more|
|New Policy & Legislation
Recently passed laws of interest to those representing disabled adults and abused & neglected children in Illinois.
Read more Adult Juvenile
|OPG Appellate Developments
Recent Appellate and Supreme Court decisions Read more
|Youth Advocacy &
Important information for current and former clients. Read more